What is TMA-6?
Trimethoxyamphetamines (TMAs) are a group of isomeric psychedelic drugs that bear a strong resemblance to mescaline.
Like the DOX family of compounds, TMAs are also members of the substituted amphetamines class — many of which possess a blend of psychedelic and stimulant effects.
TMA’s are defined by their three methoxy groups attached to the phenyl ring.
The majority of TMA compounds are non-psychoactive — with the exception of TMA-6 and TMA-2. Both these compounds have been sold as recreational drugs, but TMA-2 is definitely the more popular option.
Like TMA-2, TMA-6 is highly potent as a psychedelic. Its effects can make it very difficult to think straight or accomplish even simple tasks without outside help. Alexander Shulgin, the legendary chemist who first reported on the synthesis and effect profiles of this substance, described TMA-6 as being “extremely funny” and found it hard not to laugh pretty much nonstop throughout the experience.
|Level of Risk
|Most Common Side Effects
|Psychosis, seizures, anxiety, paranoia, agitation, confusion, increased heart rate and blood pressure, palpitations, chest pain, and difficulty breathing.
|Duration of Effects
|Twelve to sixteen hours
|Estimated Threshold Dose
|30 to 40 mg
- 🐍 I understand why substituted amphetamines should be treated with respect
- ⚖️ I’m familiar with the laws for substituted amphetamines in my country & state
- 🍄 I’m familiar with and confident in the dose I’m taking
- 🧪 I’ve tested a sample of the substance I’m using with a drug-testing kit
- 💊 I’m not mixing any medications or other substances with TMA-6
- 🏔 I’m in a safe & comfortable environment with people I trust
- 🐺 One of the members of my group is responsible and sober (AKA a trip sitter)
- ⏳ I have nothing important scheduled for after the trip
- 🧠 I’m in a sound & healthy state of mind
- ❤️ I don’t have any underlying health issues — don’t take TMA-6 if you have underlying heart, neurological, or psychiatric disorders
- 👭 Use the buddy system — TMA-6 can remove your inhibition and allow you to make unsafe decisions, always stay with people you trust, and never go out alone
- 🌵 I understand the risk of dehydration — it’s easy to become dehydrated while on TMA-6, so make sure you’re drinking a cup of water every hour
- 🦻 Protect your hearing — music can be intoxicating while on TMA-6, so protect your hearing and bring ear protection before you go out to a club or concert
What Are The Effects of TMA-6?
According to the general impressions found on popular designer drug forums like Psychonaut Wiki, Reddit, and Erowid — TMA-6 produces a complex and unique mixture of stimulant, hallucinogenic, psychedelic, and empathogenic effects.
Psychoactive TMAs are often compared to other phenethylamine derivatives like the 2C-X or DOX compounds (both of which are closely related). However, TMAs offer a distinct effect profile of their own.
For example, despite the fact that TMA-6 is notably less hallucinogenic than other psychedelics, its effects are notoriously intoxicating. Many users suggest it’s very difficult to maintain coherent thoughts when using this substance.
The general ‘feel’ of the psychoactive effects of TMA-6 seems to be very humorous. Many users describe uncontrollable fits of laughter, and this probably has a lot to do with the non-functional nature of the compound, meaning that it’s hard to be productive when under its influence.
The Effects of TMA-6 can be described as follows:
- There is a lack of classic psychedelic visuals when compared to other hallucinogenic phenethylamines.
- TMA-6 has a high degree of intoxication — making it difficult to think straight or make decisions.
- TMA-6 tends to produce feelings of laughter — everything feels funny and uncontrollable fits of laughter are common.
- TMA-6 has a strong tendency towards unpredictability and a strong dose-sensitive reaction that can wind up in excessive amounts of body load (side effects) like nausea and overstimulation.
TMA-6 Trip Reports
We’ve scraped the web for some of the best trip reports we could find on TMA-6.
Here’s our favorite so far:
TMA-6 Trip Report
My body was tingling all over, and there were times when walking was unsteady. Thinking was a little difficult, as I was quite intoxicated most of the day (all of the day, now that I think that over). To accomplish anything, such as toasting the toast in the toaster, was difficult. And things were so funny most of the time. Setting the table for supper six hours later proved to be hilarious.
There was some visual sparkle which persisted throughout. At the two-hour point, a minor but persistent stomach queasiness came on, preceded by a diarrhea-like bowel movement. There was no impairment of speech, but there was some halting quality to all thought processes. It was easy to talk about personal matters, but there did not seem to be a significant insight increase. Appetite for food was lessened. Sleep was decidedly difficult after the effects of the material seemed otherwise gone.
I felt a little tripped out; I giggled a little bit and felt awesome, just like I do on LSD or Mushrooms; colors were bright after maybe 2 hours or so (this takes a little while to kick in, although we had just eaten). I saw a little bit of visual distortions; some things looked a little off for a second and then went back to normal […]. This was not a very strong feeling; I would have liked it to be stronger. It was sort of like 1 hit of good acid.
Is TMA-6 Safe? Risks & Side Effects
With such a limited history of human usage, detailed reports on the toxicity of TMA-6 remain unavailable and will likely remain that way for the foreseeable future.
However, after decades of experimentation with psychedelic compounds, the designer drug community has managed to suss out the main risks in relation to certain subtypes of psychedelic compounds:
1. Delusional Thought Patterns
Potent and long-lasting psychedelic compounds are capable of causing users to engage in spurts of delusional thinking. In most cases, this is rarely a cause for concern, but isolated instances wherein users will unwittingly hurt themselves through delusional thinking do exist.
In order to hedge against this possibility, the best thing users can do is to have a trip sitter (a sober friend who can help them remain grounded throughout the experience and call for help if necessary).
The largest difference psychedelics like DOX compounds and TMAs exhibit with more traditional psychedelics like magic mushrooms or LSD (lysergic acid diethylamide) is the presence of stimulating side effects.
It is for this reason that users often report the need to jump around and engage in physical activity while taking amphetamine-based psychedelics.
This stimulation carries additional side effects, such as abnormal heart rate, paranoia, increased blood pressure, and increased body temperature.
It’s unclear exactly why TMA-6 causes nausea, but it’s a well-known side effect from taking this compound.
Some users experience nausea for just a few minutes as the drug begins to take effect, while others report nausea and vomiting that can last up to three hours.